Monday, January 29, 2007

People Excusing Terrorist Activities (PETA)

I always knew I hated PETA, but I never really knew why. Now I know. I came across an interesting list of 7 Things You Didn't Know About PETA and was startled when I read a couple of these. One of the worst:

PETA has given tens of thousands of dollars to convicted arsonists and other violent criminals. This includes a 2001 donation of $1,500 to the North American Earth Liberation Front (ELF), an FBI-certified "domestic terrorist" group responsible for dozens of firebombs and death threats. During the 1990s, PETA paid $70,200 to an Animal Liberation Front (ALF) activist convicted of burning down a Michigan State University research laboratory. In his sentencing recommendation, a federal prosecutor implicated PETA president Ingrid Newkirk in that crime. And PETA vegetarian campaign coordinator Bruce Friedrich told an animal rights convention in 2001 that "blowing stuff up and smashing windows" is "a great way to bring about animal liberation."

It's surprising to me that this organization of "animal lovers" (you'll understand the use of quotes after you read #2 on the list) is allowed to remain in existence.

No comments: